11. Juli 2011

You study, you become enlightened. I study, I become confused.

- There must be something you wanna do.
- Of course. I wanna discover.
- Discover what?
- Everything. I want to discover why I know what's right and still do what's wrong. I wanna discover what happiness is and what value there is in suffering. I wanna discover why men go to war and what they really say deep in their hearts when they pray to God. I wanna discover what it is that men and women feel when they say they love. You see, there's enough to keep me busy. It's hard for you to understand someone like me. Everything is so clear for you. You always know exactly what you must do and you do it.
- Exactly.
- You're different from me. You study, you become enlightened. I study, I become confused. You love, you marry. You believe, you act. There's a war, you serve.
- How wonderful it would be if I really answered to your description.
- You do, I tell you.
- Shall I show you how wrong you are?
- I know you. I'm not wrong.
- Do you know why I'm going to the war? You think it's because I think that Napoleon is a monster? You think I believe that we have any business fighting Austria's battles, 2000 miles from home? You think that I think Russia will be a greater nation when this war is over?
- Then why are you going?
- Because I'm married to one of the most loving and honorable and attractive women in Moscow and I can't stand it.

- War and Peace (1956)

1 Kommentar:

  1. "The most difficult thing - but an essential one - is love Life, to love it even while one suffers, because Life is all. Life is God, and to love Life means to love God"

    — Lev Tolstoj, War and Peace

    AntwortenLöschen

© 2010-2020 · pantopia · impressum